Western District News
MPTA Student Liaison to the APTA House of Delegates - Applications Accepted Dec 1 - 31, 2018.posted: November 15, 2018
Student Liaison to the Michigan Delegation to the House of Delegates
The Michigan Physical Therapy Association (MPTA) is excited to announce a new opportunity for a PT or PTA student to serve a one year appointed term as a student liaison to the Michigan delegation to the American Physical Therapy Association's (APTA) House of Delegates (HOD). The HOD is an APTA policy-making body comprised of voting chapter delegates, non-voting delegates, and consultants. Delegates make decisions on issues that have far-reaching implications for the association and for the profession of physical therapy.
The student liaison will participate in meetings with the MI delegation and serve as the link between the HOD and PT/PTA students in Michigan. Therefore, the selected PT or PTA student should be comfortable with communicating HOD information and their experience as the student liaison via multiple platforms including Facebook, Twitter and authoring articles in the MPTA newsletter and/or web blog.
Expectations of the Student Liaison:
- Participate in MI delegation meetings: on-site meetings at Spring/Fall Conference plus 2-4 conference calls/year
- Travel with the MI Delegation to the House of Delegates, participate in on-site meetings, and attend House proceedings in the gallery (2019 House of Delegates will be in Chicago, IL June 9th - 12th, 2019)
- Read and review House motions, background papers, and Reports to the House and be prepared to discuss with the Delegation and report back to the student membership
- Regularly communicate with students regarding issues before the House (video updates, social media posts, blog posts, Shorelines articles, etc)
Inclusion Criteria to Apply
- APTA/MPTA student member in second or third year of academic program and in good academic standing
- Commit to attending in-person delegate meetings at Spring & Fall Conference and participating in 2-4 phone conference calls in Spring 2019 (usually evenings mid-week)
- Commit to traveling to the House of Delegates, participate in on-site Delegate meetings, and attend House proceedings in gallery (2019 HOD will be in Chicago, IL and financial support will be provided)
- Commit to acting as a link for communication between students and the Delegation
- Provide regular updates to students in MI on issues being discussed at the House
- Provide one letter of reference from a professor or clinical instructor
Applications are accepted December 1st - December 31st, 2018. The selected individual will be notified by January 15, 2019.
Western District Meeting Notes - August 2018posted: August 24, 2018
MPTA: Western District Business Meeting
Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:00 pm
Kaelee Brockway, Chair, PAC Treasurer
Grand Valley State University
12:00 Lunch Served
12:10 Meeting Begins
Introduction of Officers
12:15 Professional Development Requirements
Relicensure Date: July 2019
Lookback Period: July 2017 – July 2019
Relicensure Date: July 2020
Lookback Period: July 2018 – July 2020
24 Units per cycle for PTs and PTAs
Including: 1 Unit relevant to Pain Management
1 Unit relevant to Identifying Victims of Human Trafficking (ONE TIME ONLY)
Human Trafficking Unit does not count in 24 required for relicensure
Become A PDR Agency
Forms available on LARA and MPTA.com
Webinars and International Listing of
PDR Approved Courses on MPTA.com
Looking for Conference Speakers!
See MPTA.com for speaker material submission forms
12:30 Legislative Advocacy and Payment
HB 5783 – PASSED May 24, 2018 - Amendment to the Public Health Code
Requires specific documentation of orifice penetration when it occurs for treatment of a patient in several instances and settings
Requires record retention for 15 years after episode of care is concluded
HB 5793 – PASSED May 24, 2018 - Amendment to the Public Health Code
Requires the presence of a chaperone if medical treatment is performed on a minor that involves penetration
The MPTA views this as a positive development because it solidifies PT pelvic floor practice in statute.
Effective June 12, 2018 Public Act 62 of 2018 amended the Motor Vehicle Code to add physical therapists to the list of individuals who are able to authorize/approve the need for disability parking placards
Ethics of this, Education to come
The link to the form may be found on the SOS website
CPS Mandatory Reporting
Interstate Licensure Compact
THIS IS A LEGISLATIVE PRIORITY FOR NEXT SESSION
PTAs now accepted providers under VA TriCare!
12:50 Upcoming Events
MPTA Fall Conference and Research Day
Grand Traverse Resort, Traverse City
October 5 and 6, 2018
12:55 THANK YOU! Dr. Karen Litos and GVSU!
1:00 Meeting Adjourned
Loan Repayment and Loan Forgiveness Resource - Presentation from Western District Meeting 2/11/16posted: March 03, 2016
At the February 11 Western District meeting a financial advisor provided information about student loans and how to manage them once employed. The presentation can be viewed by clicking here.