MPTA has a rich tradition of honoring members in service to the organization and outstanding achievement in physical therapy. These awards are for accomplishments in education, practice and service, publications, research, and academic excellence. Award recipients are recognized at the Annual Awards Banquent held in October of each year.
Play a significant supporting role in helping your colleagues receive recognition for their achievements by nominating the person or persons you feel are most deserving of an MPTA Honor or Award.
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE AUGUST 1ST!
MPTA Member Awards News
MPTA Student Liaison to the APTA House of Delegates - Applications Accepted Dec 1 - 31, 2018.posted: November 15, 2018
Student Liaison to the Michigan Delegation to the House of Delegates
The Michigan Physical Therapy Association (MPTA) is excited to announce a new opportunity for a PT or PTA student to serve a one year appointed term as a student liaison to the Michigan delegation to the American Physical Therapy Association's (APTA) House of Delegates (HOD). The HOD is an APTA policy-making body comprised of voting chapter delegates, non-voting delegates, and consultants. Delegates make decisions on issues that have far-reaching implications for the association and for the profession of physical therapy.
The student liaison will participate in meetings with the MI delegation and serve as the link between the HOD and PT/PTA students in Michigan. Therefore, the selected PT or PTA student should be comfortable with communicating HOD information and their experience as the student liaison via multiple platforms including Facebook, Twitter and authoring articles in the MPTA newsletter and/or web blog.
Expectations of the Student Liaison:
- Participate in MI delegation meetings: on-site meetings at Spring/Fall Conference plus 2-4 conference calls/year
- Travel with the MI Delegation to the House of Delegates, participate in on-site meetings, and attend House proceedings in the gallery (2019 House of Delegates will be in Chicago, IL June 9th - 12th, 2019)
- Read and review House motions, background papers, and Reports to the House and be prepared to discuss with the Delegation and report back to the student membership
- Regularly communicate with students regarding issues before the House (video updates, social media posts, blog posts, Shorelines articles, etc)
Inclusion Criteria to Apply
- APTA/MPTA student member in second or third year of academic program and in good academic standing
- Commit to attending in-person delegate meetings at Spring & Fall Conference and participating in 2-4 phone conference calls in Spring 2019 (usually evenings mid-week)
- Commit to traveling to the House of Delegates, participate in on-site Delegate meetings, and attend House proceedings in gallery (2019 HOD will be in Chicago, IL and financial support will be provided)
- Commit to acting as a link for communication between students and the Delegation
- Provide regular updates to students in MI on issues being discussed at the House
- Provide one letter of reference from a professor or clinical instructor
Applications are accepted December 1st - December 31st, 2018. The selected individual will be notified by January 15, 2019.